Yesterday was my last day in the studio before getting back to work. I’ve spent most of my holiday time just dabbling and decided it was no time to change that habit. Full blown paintings are coming soon, but in the meantime, I’ve been reading books, magazines and blog posts about colour. My time doing the Hundred Wash Challenge taught me the value of really getting to understand the interactions between pigments and also the way they react on paper. This sort of activity also appeals to my analytical and experimental nature.
Yesterday I decided to experiment with yellow ochre in my notebook. It’s not a colour I’ve used a lot but In my reading I found a reference to it’s value as a toning down colour. So I picked 3 bright hues – Winsor blue, cadmium red and Winsor violet to see how they would interact with Yellow Ochre. The colours were mixed on the paper, and also on the palette to see the difference. It’s obvious how they tone down the blue and the violet, creating a soft green and a mid brown. The cadmium change is less obvious, but still there.
Then I moved on to do Maggie Latham’s first colour exercise for January. She’s posting one each day this month. I was really pleased she picked two of my favourite colours. Although, as I didn’t have any Winsor yellow so substituted Aureolin. I know the effects will be different, but I can repeat the exercise when I’ve got some Winsor yellow – and it will be interesting to evaluate the differences. Heeding Maggie’s warning about the staining properties of Winsor blue, I decided to use different brushes for each of the two colours, and separate water containers too. It helped to make sure the colours stayed pure.
These don’t have the practiced elegance of Maggie’s samples, but they were great fun and I’m looking forward to following her suggestions for the next steps. I may just have to play catch up over the weekend now that we’re all back at work.